As a Building and Facility Manager, your responsibility lies with the building management and also with the grounds management.
Last month we discussed ideas for preparing your building facility for Winter. However, there are several things to complete if you want your grounds and landscaping protected throughout the long harsh Winter.
Fall cleanup is almost a tradition, but don’t forget some of these important steps to make it effective and efficient for your property grounds:
- remove leaf debris
- turn over your mulch to give it a refresh
- consider aerating and dethatching your grass. Thatch can build up and prove to be unsightly, not to mention a breeding ground for rodents and insects. Aerating your soil can help to prevent this.
- remove any Fall annuals and cut back tall perennial grasses
- schedule tree trimming and do some light pruning to remove dead/dying branches
- if you have newly-planted trees and shrubs, it’s a good idea to wrap them before freezing Winter temps set in.